Astronomical League Bylaws and Standing Resolutions
Standing Resolution #1:Trust Fund Procedures
- Trustees can be removed from office at any time
in accordance with the Bylaws under Article II, Section
- The Trustees shall elect a treasurer from among
their group to serve as a financial officer as long
as he/she remains a Trustee or until his/her five
year term expires. The responsibilities of the ALTF
- To invest most of the ALTF principal
in low risk securities to produce a maximum of
income but retaining a sufficient amount in a
savings account to meet anticipated annual disbursements.
- Make all disbursements countersigned
by another of the Trustees in accordance with
- Prepare an annual report of income,
disbursements and holdings of the ALTF to the
League Treasurer in accordance with item 7.
- Submit a written description of the
use of ALTF funds to the REFLECTOR according to
- The Astronomical League Executive Committee may
request all or part of the annual interest accrued
from the principal of the ALTF for the furtherance
of League projects. Since this is the original purpose
of the Trust Fund, it should be allocated in a most
responsible manner for highly visible uses such as:
- Improved program materials to member
- Materials to promote new and existing
- Promotional materials to increase the
effectiveness of member societies and the ALTF.
These funds are not for the routine
operating expenses of the League. Any unused interest
shall automatically become part of the ALTF principal
at the close of the League's next fiscal year on
- It is the responsibility of the Executive Committee
to determine the use of these interest funds and to
make such uses known to the ALTF Trustees for their
comments and suggestions. A simple majority of both
the Executive Committee and the Trustees will determine
if the proposed use of the ALTF interest funds is
proper. In case of a tie vote, a simple majority of
Council members polled by the Executive Committee
will approve or disapprove the proposed use of such
The ALTF Treasurer shall disperse
the funds as approved to the League Treasurer unless
otherwise directed. The ALTF Treasurer will make
sure this allocation of the ALTF interest receives
proper publicity in the REFLECTOR in cooperation
with the League President and Publications Chair.
- The duties of the Trustees are:
- To promote the acquisition of funds
from both inside and outside the League to increase
the principal of the ALTF.
- To assist the Executive Committee in
insuring that the very best use of the interest
income be made on behalf of League goals.
- To administer the handling or sale
of any real property and/or items donated to the
ALTF. Items to be sold will be deposited in the
ALTF as a part of the principal.
- The ALTF Treasurer will submit an annual financial
report to the League Treasurer 30 days prior to the
annual convention. The League Treasurer will in turn
incorporate this information in the League's financial
report to Council. Should no national convention be
held, the ALTF financial report shall be filed with
the League Treasurer by August 1.
- The principal will be inviolate except under conditions
specified in Article XI, Section 1, of the Bylaws.
Astronomical League National Headquarters
9201 Ward Parkway; Suite 100
Kansas City, MO 64114