Astronomical League Bylaws and Standing Resolutions
Standing Resolution #2: Astronomical League Convention Agreement
- Enacted 8/17/1976, at Kutztown Pa.; Amended 8/17/1976,
at Portland Or; 7/30/1983, at Jacksonville, Fl.; 7/25/1989,
at Spokane, Wa.; 7/14/1992, at San Jose,
Ca.; 7/28/1993, at Madison, Wi; and 7/1/97, at Copper
Mountain, Co.; 7/13/1999, at Cheney, Wa.; 7/18/2000,
at Ventura, Ca.
- The host society(ies) or group(s), hereinafter
referred to as the host(s) shall provide the following:
- Adequate and suitable space for
meetings of at least 250 persons.
- Adequate and suitable space for
Council meetings attended by up to forty (40)
persons. Provision that the meeting may begin
as early as the day prior to the convention,
and may last until midnight.
- A large, suitable space for exhibits
that can be secured when not manned and whose
contents shall be under the League's control.
- Necessary and adequate audiovisual
and public address equipment, to be operated
by the host(s).
- A registration/information desk,
to operated throughout the convention by the
- Adequate and suitable housing for
attendees. The less costly alternative of
a school, college, or university is preferred
over motels and/or hotels.
- Adequate room for Astronomical
League committees, member societies and other
organizations co-sponsoring joint conventions
which may have commercial exhibits or conduct
associated activity. No fees will be charged.
- No contract or agreement will be signed by
the host(s) that will bind the Astronomical League
for money without the written approval of the
Astronomical League Executive Committee.
- The Astronomical League will, if necessary,
advance funds, not to exceed three thousand ($3,000.00)
dollars to the host(s) for initial actions for
the convention. Such advance will be contingent
on approval by the Executive Committee and availability
of funds in the League Treasury.
- The host(s) will provide publicity for the
convention in League publications and major amateur
- Each convention committee shall produce a convention
summary. The summary shall consist of a copy of
the convention program and a two page, or less,
description of the conventin results. This summary
shall be submitted to the Astronomical League
Secretary and to the Historian within 60 days
after the close of the convention.
- Registration fees will be determined by the
host(s) society with the approval of the Executive
Committee. One ($1.00) dollar portion of the registration
fee will go toward the League Trust Fund.
- The net profits of the convention shall be
distributed as follows: forty (40) percent to
the host society; twenty (20) percent to the host
region; forty (40) percent to the national treasury
In the event of a joint convention
sponsored by another organization and the League,
a different distribution of net profits may
be negotiated, with the approval of the Astronomical
League Executive Committee.
Any losses incurred by the
convention shall be shared in the same proportion.
- A detailed statement of the convention's receipts
and expenses will be provided to the Astronomical
League Treasurer within thirty (30) days of the
close of the convention.
- Provision will be made for the Council and
Business Meeting of the League. Timing and placement
of the meeting shall be stipulated by the officers
of the Astronomical League.
- The monetary affairs of the convention shall
be handled by a separate bank or checking account
than is normally used by the host society.
- Participation in the convention by other organizations
must be approved by the Executive Committee of
- <Item deleted>.
- There shall be, as mandated by Article Vl,
Section 2 of the League's Bylaws, a standing committee
chaired by the Vice President or other Presidential
appointee, to advise and monitor the operation
and planning of the convention.
- Initial invitations, negotiations, and site
approval for the convention more than one year
in advance are encouraged.
- The host(s) shall obtain liability insurance
of at least one-million dollars ($1,000,000) for
the convention and shall add the Astronomical
League as a named insured on such policy.
- The host(s) agree not to arrange or provide
transportation during the convention except for
transportation secured by written agreement with
a licensed and insured commercial or public transportation
provider. In the event such a provider is used,
the Astronomical League shall be added as a named
insured on the provider's liability insurance
- The agreement must be signed and dated as follows:
||President, Astronomical League
|Host(s) President(s) or Chair
Astronomical League National Headquarters
9201 Ward Parkway; Suite 100
Kansas City, MO 64114