Astronomical League Bylaws and Standing Resolutions
Standing Resolution #5: The Astronomical League Award
- This award shall not be presented to any current
officer of the League (until they are out of office
for one year) or to any current member of the award
- The award committee shall consist of the current
president, the immediate past president and the second
past president, all of whom must vote on the award.
The selection of the award recipient must be unanimous.
- Nomination must be made in writing to the Executive
Secretary and contain the affiliation with the League
(not necessary to receive the award), and the reasons
the person should be considered for the award. It
must be received at least four (4) months before the
national convention. Announcement shall be made annually.
- The award need not be given each year. It may be
given to more than one person or more than one award
may be given in a year. The award may be posthumous.
- The award shall be presented at the banquet held
at the national convention, or if none is held, at
the largest gathering of League members at the convention.
This decision shall be made by the President.
- The receipt of nomination shall be acknowledged
by the Executive Secretary. Nominations which are
deemed to be qualified need not be acted upon in the
year in which they are received but may held for future
consideration. No reasons will be furnished for not
making the award to any person nor will the proceedings
of the presidents' committee be made public.
- The committee may nominate additional names.
- Award committees shall report award winners, and
the justification for their awards to the Reflector
Editor, League Webmaster, and League Publicity Chair
within 30 days of the presentation of the award.
Astronomical League National Headquarters
9201 Ward Parkway; Suite 100
Kansas City, MO 64114